Search

Saturday, September 25, 2010

Sep. 23rd-24th

September 23rd
What the heck happened last night?  Pictures on the camera only tell a small tale.  Erin has gone to buy our breakfast of eggs, onion, tomato, fruit, bread, and juice.  It hits the spot, but unlucky Mike Piazza has to return to his own home in Japan.  Erin and Kyle wave goodbye as I walk along the tarmac to the plane.  Temptation to stay has crossed my mind too many times.  It hurts to board the plane.  Just get it over with, get me back to Kagoshima so I don’t have to look at this perfect island.  My inner thoughts, though, are already planning my next trip.  Erin and I met a dive instructor one day and he only needs a half-day notice to begin certification.  Yes.
I get back, find the shuttle to my car, and only had to pay $35 for 5 days of parking.  Got lost driving home on the highway, but got some great directions from toll workers.  Saw an A-Z on the way home and stopped to finally go up and down the aisles.  Besides some lunch, I bought a cheap ukulele, accordion, and harmonica.  I have wanted a ukulele and accordion so bad, I couldn’t believe they had them out here.  They are practically kids’ toys though, but it’s a start. 
Drove straight to Shibushi, as I agreed to help care for Mary Margaret’s cat while she’s in Cambodia, and had too much fun making it chase a string.  I think I love this cat…and my allergies usually don’t get along with cats.
Jazz

September 24th
My first day at Osaki Elementary and the kids are SUPER INSANE CRAZY!!!  I teach 3 classes and the kids can’t stop being impressed by pictures of California and Wyoming.  I played dodgeball with them after lunch, and then rock, scissors, paper at the end of the day.  One teacher gave us ‘free-time’ that encourages all the students to form a line and take turns getting on my shoulders.  What the hell?  But, the kids are so cute and awesome, I loved it.  I had two girls holding my hands at all times, numerous kids pushing me from behind, and then a flock of others swarmed around our group.  Adorable faces everywhere, ‘Nick-sensei’ being yelled every 5 feet, and of course teachers are already trying to hook me up with the librarian.  I love Japan.
After work, I went to pay some bills and feed the cat.  I spent 2 hours just scratching him (Jazz) and I think this is the first time a cat has licked my face out of love and not because there was food on my face.  I LAH this cat.
Practiced the accordion and harmonica tonight.  I learned ‘Belle’ (Jack Johnson) on accordion, but it’s too small and doesn’t have enough keys to play it correctly.  Still, you can tell what it is and I’m having a great time learning.
Chicken, green peppers, and carrots wrapped in lettuce leaves for dinner.  Now, if I can only motivate myself to run more than once a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment