Search

Friday, September 24, 2010

Sep. 19th-20th

September 19th
In the morning we picked up Katie (happy birthday!) and another friend to head to a flea market that occurs once a month. 
Flea market

Erin went on a nice little shopping spree and ended up with a 2 foot Hello Kitty doll…’Erin!  What are you doing!?’ (inside joke that I’ll explain later).  We had lunch at Joyfull (remember, 2 L’s), and Erin was recognized by a mother and her 5 or 800 kids.  They were crawling all over her and kept coming to our table to stare.  We finally left and dropped of Katie and her friend.  Erin and I went snorkeling at another beach where we found HUGE sea cucumbers.  We napped for a bit but were awoken by little drops of rain that soon (15 seconds) turned into a downpour.  We went to grab some food, a manga, and then headed to the beach by her house, at night.  Some older boys were hanging out in the same place, again, so we kept to ourselves on the stairs that lead to the sand.  Erin had a 27 minute call with Tomo, a guy we had met the night before, who didn’t speak English.  It took them 27 minutes to figure out that he was going to call her tomorrow.  Not much later, we both passed out.  Luckily, she woke up and we sleepily walked back to her place. 

September 20th
Today we talked to Erin’s supervisor while her A/C was being installed.  We instantly ‘Bromanced’ over fishing stories and decided to go to lunch. We picked up Tomo, who had a 6 pack of beer in hand (make that 5 pack since he had just finished one), and we got to a place that served Keihan (a dish I had researched before coming).  Purely scrumtrulescent!  It starts with a bowl of rice, then you add shredded chicken, shredded egg, onion, pickled something, seaweed, and then pour delicious chicken broth over it all.  
Keihan

Also, they give you enough of everything for two or three helpings.  Please, let there be a way for me to move to Amami. 
After lunch, Erin, Tomo, and I had a beer at Erin’s place and listened to music.  Tomo was smashed after 1 beer.  Honestly, he was staggering in the street.  After he had 2 more, we really couldn’t communicate with him and had to ask Erin’s friend Erina to speak to him in Japanese.  Erin drove him to where we though his aunt’s house was, but he kept saying ‘no.’  He finally gets out of the car as we explain this is the place his aunt lives.  He realizes that he left his bag and sweater at Erin’s place, so we drive back to get it and find Tomo sitting on the curb, on the opposite side of the street from where we left him.  As I walk him across the street, again, his aunt pulls up in a car and takes custody.  We were in the right place, just one house away, but he couldn’t figure it out. 
Aaaanywho…we drive to Hotel Basayayamamura and meet up with Erina and her husband, Brad.  Erin surprised us and bought us steak dinners.  The steak was so juicy and tender, I couldn’t believe we were in Japan.  Thank you Erin!!! 
Later this night, we all join another group of dancing elders, near Erina’s parent’s home.  More drinking in the streets with strangers, but it was great. 

I had one crazy dude that kept making me dance as close to the ground as I could.  We ended at Erina’s parent’s house and had more drinks and food.  We were told a story by one of the women there, who had survived the atomic bomb in Hiroshima.  Out of her entire class of kids, she was the only one to survive.  Now, she’s in a wheelchair and still has glass embedded in her body.  After many years, she had a large piece removed, which she showed us.  I had a tough time handling all this information and seeing this woman, while also thinking of the Japanese attacks on America.  So many mixed emotions, but I have seen from both sides, how each have forgiven one-another. 
The subject slowly fades away and I can’t believe how small the world gets.  Someone mentions uni (sea urchin) and I casually mention that a friend I know from high school, has parents that ship uni to Japan.  They ask what the person’s name is and it turns out to be my friend’s dad.  Pasadena, meet Amami, your new neighbor.  I really don’t know what else I can expect to find in this country.  So crazy! 
Erina and her family, as well as some locals, have also correctly guessed that I’m part Japanese.  They say I look like an islander, and it’s one of the best compliments I have received.  I’m starting to feel roots I’ve never felt before.  Slowly, I’m finding my Grandma Hatsuko.

1 comment: