Search

Thursday, September 16, 2010

September 14th-16th

September 14th
My 1st class was planned around teaching animal names.  The students kept saying, ‘What’s this, what’s that?’  Then they began asking me about some movie that was on the previous night.  I mentioned the show ‘Gaki no tsukai’ and they couldn’t believe that it came from my mouth.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aZvX2Xrw8c&feature=fvst    If you have never seen the show, please click the link.
Immediately, they started naming the comedian’s names and asking if I knew them.  Only a couple names were familiar, but it amused the students enough to make them blankly stare at me for 30 minutes.  Walking down the hallway after class, I have students yelling ‘Ahh Nikurasu!’ and giving me high fives.
The next class was beyond words.  I had two different students introduce themselves as ‘Sex’ and say they like ‘weiners.’  All the while, my JTE (Japanese Teacher of English) is yelling behind me, ‘Sausage!”  This NEEDS to be in a comedy showcase of some sort.  Of course, another round of questions that entail my love life.  The girls in the class ‘Ohh’ and ‘Ahh’ when they find out I’m single.  The boys yell ‘Ohhhh!!!’ when they hear ‘Cowboy, wakeboard, surfing, fishing, etc.’   “Have you met actresses in Hollywood?”  ‘Yes I have’….”Ohhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!”
I have one girl in my class come up to say she likes my smile, then tries to hug me while her friend pulls her away.  She’s actually trying to run toward me with her arms outstretched, while her friend is bear hugging the heck out of her.
At lunch, I head to the gym and play volleyball with some of the girls.  They won’t stop giggling.  I’m guessing they think I’m slow, because they yell my name before hitting the ball to me.  It turns out to be a ton of fun, as other teachers soon join and we’re spiking the ball at every moving object.
2nd school, classes were bleh.  Nothing to report.

September 15th
I start at Osaki JHS today and immediately have a student that moonwalks across the classroom.  What the hell?  The next school is nuts.  ABSOLUTELY NO ENGLISH from the teacher.  They loved postcards from Eaton’s Ranch but especially the luggage tag that Kalika’s friend, Lindsay, made of Sake.  All period, the students would get out of their chair to come and look at the picture.  Not sure if they thought she was a bear or a dog.  We played Janken (rock, scissors, paper) at the end of class, where the losers had to hold on to the shoulders of the person that beat them.  At the end of the game, we had two huge lines of students/teachers that were battling in Janken. 
I am served tea and snacks at nearly every school I visit.  No one will let me wash my own dishes.  I feel horrible and am getting frustrated.

September 16th
Today was AWESOME!  I taught one class and was done for the day.  My other JTE was at the doctor, so she cancelled all her classes.  At 4, I had a meeting with an elementary school I have yet to visit.  We discussed the lesson plans and for some reason I got the idea that they don’t understand English.  I guess it’s just a hunch. 
Got to talk to Grandma, Gee-Money, Dorian, mom and Kalika on the phone today.  That was epic!  I had so much fun and it brought me back to the states for a bit.  Miss and love you guys so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment