Search

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Sorry for the delay!

Just a lot of random stuff lately that has kept me from writing in this blog.  Sorry for taking so long to post this.  I will, though, try and get some of the pictures up as soon as I can.
September 27th
At Hishida with my favorite kid, Takumi.  The one who likes boys and always puts his arm around me.  All was funny again, and then he let took it to the next level.  ‘Nick-sensei,’ ‘Yes?’  ‘I like your meat.’ 
Hmm…I look around to see if I have trailed in any chicken, pork, or maybe a hamburger from the other night.  Dang…nope…no animal meat attached to me at the moment.  ‘Haha, you’re so funny!’ as I scurry away not wanting to look back.  Oh man, I just don’t know what these kids are going to throw at me anymore.
After lunch, I went and practiced volleyball with the girls’ team, but was stolen away by a group of kids that wanted me to teach them breakdancing.  They absolutely CAN NOT do the worm.  I tried for 10 minutes until I gave up.  So we tried headspins instead, which a few of them picked up right away.  What?  Headspins, but no worm?!  You have confused me again you little rascals. 
The rest of the day went without interruption.  At night, I went to taiko practice and was asked a huge question.  To play at a festival on one of my days off.  Of course!!!  So stoked, I think I have officially become a member of their group called, ‘Happy.’  One letter of ‘Happy’ is for each of the 5 members.  I think, though, that we’ll have one or two others playing with our group on the day of the festival.  I can’t wait, but one of our songs (cadence?) is extremely difficult.  This may take a lot more effort than I can suffice.

September 28th
My first half-day was cancelled, so I spent it at the BOE.  A gentleman from another department came in and asked me to be a starter (guy who shoots the gun) for the Osaki Town Sports Day.  Again, “Of course I will.”  But darn it, it’s on the same weekend as my taiko performance.  So my supposed 3-day super awesome weekend has now been cut to 1 day.  It’s okay though, I get to shoot a ‘gun’ around little kids and make them run.  Nick: +1  
Made some flashcards and then left to eat lunch at home.  After lunch, I headed to another school for the final 3 hours of the day.  I show up and they have, like many others, a blank look on their face.  Two teachers scurry around and make phone calls to my BOE.  It turns out my supervisor forgot to tell me that the second school also didn’t need me today, since they are practicing for their sports day.  Great.  As I leave the school to head back to the BOE, a few students stop me to ‘talk.’  One keeps calling me ‘Macaroni-sensei’ while the others giggle and say ‘Hello’ for the 30th time.  I’d much rather do this than sit at my desk in the BOE.  So I do…I stay for an extra 45 minutes and just laugh with the kids.

After work, I head out for a run and find a really cool road.  It has some good little inclines and I was probably out for 45 minutes.  Finally, I’m running again! 

September 29th
Happy Birthday Kalika!  But, it’s still only the 28th where you are.  Teaching was uneventful, but I made plans to get an iPhone with Mary Margaret today!  But, just as I’m about to leave for Shibushi, I get a call from my BOE telling me to drive to Osaki Elementary.  We have a 30 minute ‘meeting’ about the lesson plans two weeks in advance.  The only problem with this is that barely anyone speaks English.  Had either of us known the other’s language, the meeting would have taken 3 minutes.  Okay, I get it, I should be studying Japanese a little harder.
Mary Margaret and I spend a good deal of time at the Softbank store with the AWESOME Softbank ladies.  They tell me my iPhone will be here in 2-3 weeks and we leave to celebrate a great Softbank visit with Sushi Tora.  It’s my first time to this place that Kyle and Mary Margaret rave about.  Now I know why they rave about it!  It’s another one of those sushi places where the food goes around on a conveyor belt and each dish is priced based on what color plate it’s on.  Probably on my top 5 places to eat in Japan.

September 30th
Happy REAL Birthday Kalika!  I had one class this morning, left to ‘go to the BOE’ and Skyped Kalika.  Had so much fun talking to them and watching them eat the weird Japanese treats I sent home.  Left for my afternoon school, one class during the last period.  Got an e-mail from Mary Margaret that my iPhone had arrived.  What happened to 2-3 weeks? 
We went through all the paperwork: cancelling my AU phone, paying my right arm to Softbank, and then I finally had my new phone.  Thank you Mary Margaret!!!  I really couldn’t have done this without you.  Unfortunately, I had stomach problems all day and promptly left for home. 
Now, the real dilemma.  Do I sit on the toilet with nothing to do, or risk my new iPhone over a ceramic bowl of water?  I did nothing…I’m positive I made the right choice. 

October 1st
All day I got to play Simon Says.  Teachers, 5 minutes before class, ask me, ‘Do you have any games we can play today?’  Well, I could probably come up with something much better if you give me an hour, a day, a few days to think of and prepare something. 
Was going to head out to a singles night, but my stomach got the best of me again.  Ended up chatting with Kyle and Mary Margaret and the okinomiyaki place in Shibushi.  We then proceeded to find a centipede, play a ‘I’m going camping’ game, and then Kyle got the BRILLIANT idea to smash Mary Margaret’s face open.  Really, the spots of blood looked great on the tatami, we shouldn’t have washed those out.  Haha!   All was okay (and an accident), but Mary Margaret’s poor eye didn’t want to be seen in public the next couple days. 
The centipede and bowl that Kyle threw out the window

- Note: As I just wrote this entry (literally, 1 second after I finished writing about the centipede) a centipede walked across my tatami floor.  I jumped out of my chair and got the chills immediately.  I'll post a pic of it ASAP.
Chills...


October 2nd
Tonight, I had a Skype party with my friends from California.  I never knew this could be so much fun.  They stayed up until about 5am, California time.  We read ‘poetry,’ gave toasts, and they made Mike Piazza eat tater tots.  I’ll just leave it at that.

Thanks for keeping me sane guys, you have no idea how much I needed that.

October 3rd
Another sports festival today.  Fairly boring, but we got to leave before lunch since it started raining.  I got home and decided to go for a run.  About 15 minutes in, my left leg cramped harder than I’ve ever felt.  So I hobbled home and hung out at the house.  Skyped Kalika and family at her surprise party.  It was great to talk to a bunch of people and see some on the computer.  After that, I went to bed. 
It seems my days are becoming more boring…I need to spice this up somehow. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment