Search

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

KAPIC

August 23rd – 27th
This past week in KAPIC was awesome!  I had such a great time with the other JETs and our language instructor.  Before we even left, though, I had a dilemma with my Board of Education.  Kyle and Ryan were on their way to pick me up, when I got a call from Shinmiya, asking where I was.  After 20 minutes on the phone, I had explained that I had a ride to Kagoshima City and I had to pack because my ride was coming.  Shinmiya was persistent in saying that he would drive me to the ferry port, but I kept playing the “I don’t understand what you’re saying, my friends are picking me up, I’ll talk to you on Friday when I get back” card.  It turns out that he ‘kidnapped’ Tomomi from her office, drove her to my house, and had her translate what I was trying to say.  Guess what, it’s fine that my friends are driving me, and there was no reason for a 20 minute call and a 25 minute translation session.  I realize they’re looking out for me, but jeez, that was ridiculous.  Shinmiya left with Tomomi, Kyle texted me saying they would be here shortly, so I cracked a beer open for the both of us since we weren’t driving.  Haha, I love open container laws in Japan.  Kyle and I started the trip off right with an Asahi and a little bottle of Shochu.  We made it to the ferry, with one accidental ‘driving on the right side of the road’ slip-up on Ryan’s part. 
Kyle and I saw a hammerhead shark in the bay, and then were physically assaulted by a couple 3 year olds.  The boy hit Kyle in his jewels and the little girl kept slapping my butt.  We were cracking up, these kids were hilarious.  I asked the boy if he spoke English and out came a perfect English sentence.  Man, I hope this is how my school kids are.  We got to Kagoshima City and made it to our hotel in 90 degree weather.  We had our first little gathering and then headed to the Dolphin Port for a dinner with beer/shochu garden.  
Our awesome group of Kagoshima JETs

Man, that was the end of my night.  I pretty much only remember eating, drinking, going to karaoke, and somehow making it to my room. 
Alberto and Colin not knowing what to do with me.

Later, I’ll see videos of me playing a gourd shaker and posing with a statue of Colonel Sanders. 
Mike and I doing what we do best (whatever that is)

Luckily, I had Mike to watch out for me and lead me back to the room.  Unfortunately, I woke up at 7am, didn’t reset my alarm, and slept til 8:50am.  We had our first, mandatory meeting at 9am.  Both Kyle and I were late.  Thinking I’ll just be able to sneak in, I take my time and get something to eat and drink before heading to the room.  I showed up 25 mins late, and took my seat.  Kyle is already seated ahead of me (only being 15 mins late).  But, we were both called into a room, one by one, and given the ‘treatment.’  Pretty much, they just asked what happened to us and to make sure we call someone if we are going to be late.  Not too bad, just a little warning. 
We get ready to head to KAPIC, and it turns out my BOE contacted the KAPIC center and told them I have to take the bus to the center, instead of riding in the car with Kyle and Ryan.  Hmm, still don’t understand that move, but oh well.  On the bus, I finally met Nate Bastian, the nearly heroic icon of motorcycling in Kanoya.  We talked a bunch about bikes and what to expect this next week, and all sounded great. 
Kapic turns out to be such a beautiful place.  In the middle of the mountains with a man-made lake, a river running into it, a cultural center, and a cool little dorm-style rooms for people to stay.  
Our room overlooking the river and lake

I roomed with a gentleman from South Africa, whose name is Gerrit.  We got along well, having an epic battle of ping pong, and just enjoying the experience.  I was in the beginner Japanese class with Kyle, and we had plenty of fun.  Our instructor was this adorable Japanese girl, teaching for her first time.  She actually cried once, saying that she wasn’t a good teacher, but we easily assured her that we were learning plenty.  The week went well.  We went swimming off the docks at night, I took swims in the river in the mornings, and everyone really just had a great time. 

We got to dress in costumes from around the world, make flower arrangements, and then give oral presentations the last day we were there. 
My new wife and daughter.
They even dressed us in kimonos and let us act like samurai warriors for a bit.
Taking a peek at Kat's exposed neck...sexy!
The friends I made were worth every ounce of energy I have put forth toward this teaching job in Japan. 
It was a sad saying goodbye, but we all exchanged information and will hopefully get to visit each other soon.  Kyle, Ryan, Becca, and I rode together back to our places.  We were beat.  A full week of meetings, Japanese courses, and staying up late.  I wish we could do it a few more times.

Thanks KAPIC!


Erin even gave us free tickets to the 'Gun Show'

No comments:

Post a Comment