Search

Friday, September 3, 2010

August 28th-29th

August 28th
Mary Margaret, Kyle and I had planned on taking a trip to an island for the weekend after KAPIC, and we find out we have to leave by 4:15am.  I woke up at 3:00am and got to Mary Margaret’s place by 4:10am, and it was pouring with strong winds.  There was a Typhoon on the way and things weren’t looking up.  We drove to Kyle’s place and got in touch with Allen and to see what we were going to do.  We decided not to chance it and figure out something to do closer to home.  Mary Margaret, Kyle, and I fell asleep simultaneously.  We woke up and headed to Joyfull (that’s 2 L’s) and had breakfast.  Kyle and Mary Margaret then purchased their new beta fish: Bojangles and Jerome. 
We met up with Allen and his friend Ayumi and decided to go to the beach.  The surf was big, but not exactly ride-able.  So we sat on the rocks and watched the waves crash into them.  Kyle and I braved the waves and went to the furthest point of the rocks to have the waves crash over us.  Turns out, it’s not just ocean spray, but ocean surge that hits you.  We hung on for dear life a few times and decided to run back…just as another huge set was coming.  Kyle saw it and yelled to turn around.  We returned to the ocean surge area, but managed to get back with the rest of the group after the waves receded a bit.  For the next hour, we sat on the rocks and let the ocean spray hit us.  We also reenacted a Little Mermaid scene and had water fights with the white wash.  Really, we’re getting paid to do this. 
We finish at the beach and decide to go to a karaoke bar, where Mary Margaret knows the group of 8 insanely drunken people going to the same place as us.  They are her student’s parents.  The rest of the night, our karaoke room is overtaken by surprise attacks of drunk Japanese people who want to dance and sing with us.  Please tell me you can imagine this!  My favorite memory of this night was halfway through the song ‘Moskau’ (completely in German), and the drunk party comes to dance with us.  Who knows if they were even able to understand that there was a German song being played, but they sang along and danced as if it was their song. 
I love Japan.
We got back to Kyle’s place and had a dance party until previously unexplored hours of the morning.
Waking up that same morning, we discovered that Allen and Ayumi were cooking French toast with slices of fruit for breakfast.  The best breakfast I have had since coming here.  We had all seen better days and decided to part ways afterward. 
That night, we went to a festival in Shibushi, where I got to meet the hilarious girls that Mary Margaret and Kyle work with. 


We were rained on, ate okinomiyaki, watched the largest fireworks I had ever seen, met the mayor of Shibushi, and then met the coolest guy in the world.  I had merely walked to a booth to buy a drink, and out of nowhere this guy asks, ‘What is your name.’  After I say, ‘Ni-ku-ra-su,’ he turns to 8 of his friends working behind the stand, yells ‘Ni-ku-ra-su!!!’ and they begin clapping a beat…loudly.  He comes up to me, gives me a hug, and tells me he loves me.  So in proper fashion, I bear-hug the hell out of him and tell him I love him too.  Walking back to our group, laughing my ass off, I tell Mary Margaret the story and ask her to come over and take a picture of me with this guy.  We get the picture, he introduces himself to Mary Margaret, and then keeps saying what a nice guy I am to her.  He then buys us drinks, places my hand around her shoulder, her hand around my waist, and tells us to ‘Go have fun.’  


Typing this right now, I am laughing out loud.  We couldn’t believe how funny this guy was and also realized he probably wouldn’t remember any of this the next morning.  He gave Mary Margaret a business card, and it turns out he's a flower shop owner.  Well, I’m going to make it a point to visit this guy at his flower shop and see if we can jolt his memory.  His business card is quite possibly the best I have ever seen, so it’s only necessary that I make sure we become friends.  We all head home, tired as ever, and finish the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment