Search

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Oct. 9th - 10th

October 9th
I decided to go on a long drive today.  On my way to the airport when I left for Amami, I noticed a Red Baron motorcycle shop along the way.  
Driving through the forests

I took the same route and ended up finding multiple shops.  Took tons of pictures and I think I’m leaning toward the way of a café bike.  For the longest time I’ve wanted to go the route of a greaser and what better time to start than in Japan?  I found some GB250s, newer Suzuki 250s, and even ran into a Harley shop.  I talked with a couple English speaking workers and showed them pictures of John and I on the old Harleys.  They loved it and kept asking which bike I liked.  Unfortunately, I had to tell them I don’t have a budget that includes new bikes, let alone Harleys.  They were great though, offering me drinks, and talking my head off.  They also knew my buddy Nathan, being the place he bought his Harley.
I made a run on the 10 and headed for Kagoshima City.  Checked out some great shops, including Cobra, which has some awesome custom bikes.  They’re just a bit expensive.  Enjoyed my drive around the city, but decided to head home.  Driving through the mountains, I noticed a huge statue of a samurai.  I pulled over and took some pics.  
The lady on the left is about 200 feet away from the statue.  It looks miniature in this pic.

This thing is huge and it seems to be an attraction for the locals as well.  I have to note that there were some great looking ice-block hills that need to be tested.  Any takers?
Ice block hills!

Now I have motorcycles on the brain and it doesn’t look like it’s going to go away anytime soon.  The next paycheck can’t get here soon enough!
After getting home, my neighbor knocks on my door and brings me an extra plate of food his wife cooked.  This is just too nice.  I love these guys but we can barely converse with one another.  The food was sooooooo delicious, I hope one day I'll be able to express to them how much it means to me.
Delicious dinner from my neighbors!


October 10th
It’s Sunday, you know what that means!!!  Another sports festival.  This is my…lets see…5th Sunday I’ve had to reserve for a sports festival?  Today, thankfully, I get to shoot a gun around the kids.  I also find out that we’re playing taiko today instead of tomorrow. 
Our team got to wear white headbands

The gun shooting goes well.  I just have to yell, “Ichi ni suite!  Yoi!”  I’m even mic’d, so the whole park can hear me.  
Gaijin with a gun

At lunch, our taiko group sets up and plays our set.  They even brought me an outfit to wear, so we all match.  It was great and we were all complimented on the great job afterward.  Then, more races, the cops even run laps, people in anime costumes, men dressed as women, and I think they’re just trying to confuse me now.  The cops even ‘arrest’ one of the runners at the end of the race with the crowd applauding.  I can’t figure out what the hell is happening, but I keep my smile and just nod along.
Anime characters and an actual policeman running the race

I have no clue what's going on
Local police arresting a ninja

After the event is done, my fellow BOE guys invite me to help tear down chairs and tables.  SWEET!  I couldn’t have thought of a better way to finish my Sunday evening.  Can you tell I’m a little tired of this.  I even have someone come up to me and say, “This is my 2nd sports festival.  It’s a lot of work.”  They do know that I have 9 schools, right?  While tearing down the tables, one of my super important boss guys comes over to introduce his daughter.  The guys from the BOE smile and throw their elbows into my side.  Another awkward situation.  She likes running though, so hopefully we can train together for the marathon in a couple months. 
Here's a video of Osaki women doing their fold dance.
After getting home, I decided to try my luck spearfishing again.  Didn't catch anything, but I scared a Japanese couple when I came out of the water.  I think they may have been making out on the seawall and didn't see my snorkel.  Nick: +2
Sunset in Shibushi

Went home and fell asleep before 11pm…yes!

No comments:

Post a Comment