Search

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

August 8th-10th

August 8th
What a day!!!  I woke up at 7 this morning and decided to sleep in until 8:30.  Ate a good breakfast and got the board and car ready to go to the beach.  I headed to Miyazaki, where Andrew had shown me a surf spot.  It was supposed to be overhead today, so I was in high spirits.  I got to the ferris wheel at the old amusement park and saw a bunch of surfers on the beach.  I stopped, checked it out and decided I would try there.  But, on my way driving back to their parking lot, I saw two cars filled with surfboards heading even further down the road.  So, I turned around again and followed them.  I ended up finding the place that Andrew had shown me and the beach was completely open.

By the time I got out to the water, two younger boys had gone out and tried catching some waves.  We all found that they were forming really nice near one of the cliff sides and paddled that way.  My first wave in Japan, shoulder high, fast, smooth, and I nailed it!  Thank goodness because I didn’t get another until an hour or two later.  But the area, surrounded with a mountainous backdrop and crazy bird calls, was worth the trip.  My hands got wrinkly and I stayed for one last wave that turned out to be the longest ride of the day.  So happy, sooo soooo happy!  On the way home, I stopped at a surf shop (but there weren’t any good board deals), bought some groceries, and headed home.


I got an email from Mary Margaret saying she was having people over for a BBQ.  I took the invite and this turned out to be even more fun.  We drove out to pick up some other ALTs and get some supplies (including fireworks J).  We even saw a hand spider walking around the parking lot at the grocery store.  Ohh ohh ohh!  Plus, I found that they sell Hawaiian slings (spear guns) for $3!  They also had fishing poles and supplies, so now I’ll be set when I get a chance to go back.
Kyle, Becka, Chelsea, and I had a blast trying to get the coals lit and ready to go.  The food was delicious (ume!): marinated beef, pork, vegetables wrapped in meat, and a huge steak that we unfortunately washed in the sink.  A few JETs from Kanoya came down as well, so we had a great group of people to eat and talk with.  Most of the party left, while we took the fireworks to the beach.  Miki, Mary’s Japanese friend was with us and nearly shot us with bottle rockets.  We were laughing so hard and kept giving her the fireworks that shoot into the air.  Even when it started to rain, we managed to get a couple more sparklers lit and then headed home.  The night was gorgeous, semi-cloudy skies with great visibility of the stars.  The ocean was nice and loud, smelled like a beach, so I was at home.  Today was definitely one of my favorites so far.  I now have friends that live close, who like to BBQ, shoot fireworks, and laugh.  I can’t wait to hang with these people again, they are an absolute blast!  Now the task of uniting them with my friends back in the states.  I’m off to bed, it’s late and I, unfortunately, have work.

August 9th
Not a whole lot today.  I gave an omiyage (mini cans of Welch’s fruit juice) to my coworkers and they were thankful.  One of the guys said, ‘From the quarter machine?’  Haha, oh those jokesters!  Most of the day I was reading some ‘Gaijin Smash’ websites.  Ohhh!  I finally got my Alien Registration and insurance cards and can now get internet access!  I think they set up an appointment for me tomorrow.  You will all finally be able to read this and I won’t feel like I’m just talking to myself!
I was going to surf, but found myself walking around a Wal-Mart type store and finding the fishing poles, car stereo speakers, and beard-trimmer I’ve been looking for.  Hopefully tomorrow morning I’ll be able to wake up early enough and ride some waves.  There’s a hurricane/typhoon off the coast that’s supposed to bring some decent waves.  Hopefully not too big, I don’t feel like battling white wash.  G’night!

August 10th
Another day starting with work and ending with good friends.  Work consisted of looking up Kanji online, and reading about 40 pages of FMylife.com  I gave an omiyage of surfing/bodysurfing stickers to the guy who lent me his board.  I discussed my internet options with Shinmiya and Tomomi, and we never came to a decision.  It appears that modems, out here, cost upwards of $500 U.S.  So, I’ve got to figure out exactly what I need.  The day at the office ended with me being given a ‘Goya’ vegetable from the vines that grow outside our window.  It looks like a cross between a pickle and a banana, and it supposedly is very bitter. 

Twenty minutes after work was over, I was looking at Goya recipes with the guys in the office.  They decided on one that needs tofu, eggs, soy sauce, and 'sperm.'  I kept asking if it was fish sperm, and they just kept saying “Sperm, sperm.”  Luckily, before I left the office, they had Google translated the recipe that called for Spam.  Thank goodness, because I would have felt like an idiot asking for fish sperm at the store.  I would have had a Gaijin Perimeter for about 8 blocks.  After work, I headed to Miyazaki for surfing, since we have Typhoon coming in and the waves are supposed to be crazy!  They were and I almost didn’t make it past the white wash.  I got crushed by 6 or 7 huge waves before they finally settled and I was able to get past the break point.  Upon getting there, I noticed all the Japanese surfers riding in and leaving the beach.  Either they were tired, knew bigger waves were coming, or just didn’t like the white guy out there.  So there I was, alone, with some good overhead-sized waves coming at me.  I, unfortunately, was taken out to sea a bit by the currents, but managed to paddle back.  I decided that I should probably not test the seas and catch a ride in.  Well I caught one, got barreled standing up for the first time (in a barrel) in my life, and was immediately crushed.  Luckily it’s a sand bottom there, and I only got flipped around two or three times.  I’ve had surfer’s drip all night, including during a meal near Kanoya with John, Chelsea, and some other JETs.  My eardrum hurts, so I guess I’m not surfing for a couple days.  Anyway, I have to get some sleep.  We might all go out for some Indian food tomorrow to meet the new Kanoya JETs.  Hope everyone else is great.  I found out that I won’t be getting internet for another 3 weeks.  Bummer-status.  

No comments:

Post a Comment