Search

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

August 18th and 19th

August 18th
My 9am meeting with Yuko and Kazuma was changed to 1pm, so I had a bunch of time to kill.  I wrote some messages online and looked up a few new kanji.  After lunch, I went to Daiichi J.H.S.  Yuko, Kazuma, and I went over the speech multiple times.  When I say multiple times, I mean somewhere close to 30 times.  Again, we pronounced individual words until they had no meaning.  I really hope he does well on Tuesday.  Kazuma has worked very hard, memorizing a majority of the speech and even including body gestures and intonation.  I really can’t tell you how upset I am that I’ll miss his speech.  I’m hoping to find an omiyage for him while I’m at the conference this next week. 
I got my car back from the shaken inspection and found out it’s going to cost me $1,300!!!  Crap.  I was really hoping somewhere around the figure of $700.  Not only that, but before I gave my rental car back, I accidentally filled it with $20 worth of gas, instead of the $10 I was thinking of.  Again, crap.  Ahh, oh well, sometimes these things happen.  Just take them day to day. 
After work, I headed to my favorite beach and surfed a bit.  The waves were a bit larger today, but still not great.  I’m not sure where this huge swell is, that’s supposed to hit.  I really hope it comes soon, because I’m itching to get a nice ride.  I’m also getting more impatient about not having a fishing pole/spear.  I keep seeing these huge fish jumping out of the water at my surf spot, and I would love to catch one or 10. 
Making dinner tonight (spaghetti, chicken, mushrooms, broccoli, garlic, tomatoes, onion, and some spices), I listened to the entirety of ‘Stop Making Sense.’

I forgot how great that DVD is, and it reminded me of all our San Diego Thanksgiving celebrations.  I was able to think of some great memories of Todd, Mike, and my first Thanksgiving, as well as the insanely fun ones at Law St.   Please, would you all come to Japan and have Thanksgiving with me?  I’ll cook everything and give you all the drinks you need.  From what I’ve been told, the Japanese think KFC has traditional holiday food.  They go there on Christmas (maybe Thanksgiving too) because “That’s what you do in America.”  Crazy huh?! 
Soooo, to the dismay of some, I ate the dried horse cake/cracker today.  I honestly felt sick eating it, especially thinking about the horses back in Wyoming.  But…and this is a big but….I kind of liked it.  It wasn’t pure horse meat, it was definitely mixed with spices and other things, and it was good.
Horse Treat

 Even before I ate it today, another one of my coworkers gave me another horse cracker thing.  I sat there thanking him, thinking ‘Please God, no.’  Never-the-less, I find out horse is pretty good.  I pray that it was the meat from a lame, old, random-reason expired horse.  I don’t want to know if they butcher them out here, that’s just not my thing.  I’m just worried that they’ll be bringing in whale meat someday.  I’m actually more willing to eat whale than horse, seeing as I’ve never ridden or taken care of a whale before.  
Enough of that, I have another day of reading Kazuma’s speech tomorrow.  Please, even though you can’t read this yet (only 2 more weeks until internet), pray that the waves get bigger!  Thanks!

August 19th
It was so hot today!  I stayed at the office until 12pm then left for lunch and directly to Daiichi.  We worked on the speech with Kazuma and he’s starting to memorize it.  We also worked on some hand gestures that he seems to be figuring out.  I got home from work and realized my yard was way out of control.  I found a small handheld blade (like what the undertaker carries) and cut grass (hunched over) in my front yard.  I found a bunch of black and yellow caterpillars, so not knowing much about them, I let them be.  My neighbor helped me figure out that the yard clippings go into a pink trash bag and I found out there’s something in my yard that makes me break out.  Luckily, it only hit a small part of my arm, but I still don’t know what plant it is.  That was pretty much the extent of my day.  I went and explored some new shops in Osaki, where little kids found me amusing and kept bringing their dog over for me to pet.  But, that was about it.  Finally, I get to sleep early tonight, it’s only 9pm!  I’m spent, g’night!

No comments:

Post a Comment