Search

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

August 11th-13th

August 11th
Today was pretty boring at work.  I did learn some new Kanji and vocabulary, so that was a plus.  I was given another Goya, and my coworkers kept telling me that they were trying to set me up with Japanese girls.  Some sort of party with just single girls and guys, and probably me as the only Gaijin.  They like to gesture and point at me saying, “Handsome,” and then read their translations from Yahoo that say, “Irresistible to ladies,” and “Ladies pleasure.”  Oh please no, I can’t even name my car, let alone take on someone that I can’t converse with. 
I finally took the night off to myself, played some video games, and had a couple whiskey drinks.  I encourage you whiskey drinkers to find some Suntory Old Whiskey, if possible, because it’s becoming my new favorite.  I won’t say that it’s better than Pendleton, but it’s the best I’ve had in Japan.
For dinner, I made my first Japanese hamburger that included onions, garlic, tomatoes, lettuce, pepper, and mustard. 

Oh it was good, but I would have rather had cheese on it.  They do have cheese, but I didn’t want their only options of cream cheese or brie on my hamburger.  It seems there’s not a huge demand for queso here.  Pork, chicken, beef, and especially fish is awesomely abundant and cheap.  I think I mentioned it earlier, but to recap, Kagoshima is known for its black pork and beef.  Both, which I’ve had, are delicious and fatty.
Cheeeeeeap veggies and fruit

Don’t worry, I’m surfing, running a bit, and doing a lot of sit-ups and push-ups.  Plus the weather seems to sweat a pound or two away, per day. 
I forgot that yesterday, Shinmiya, Aiboshi, and Mizoguchi all invited me to fish with them.  I had told them that I went searching for fishing poles and they were stoked, saying that they have extras for me to use.  They’re also in the process of finding a cool, used motorcycle for me.  These guys have become my brothers.  Fishing poles, motorcycles, food, and girls…they’re always hunting.  I guess Aiboshi and Mizoguchi used to be riders too, but since they got married, they had to sell their bikes.  Sooo, I’m slowly trying to get them back into the scene.  If you have a chance, check out Red Baron motorcycles in Japan.  Huuuuge distributor, seller, buyer, and renter of motorcycles in Japan.  Bigger than anything I’ve ever seen in the US.  They even buy and sell to other countries.  We’re all glued to our computers now, looking for all bikes for sale in Kagoshima. 
Mizoguchi said that his wife bakes bread, so he asked when he could bring a loaf over.  The generosity of the people out here still amazes me every day.  On a daily basis, they offer to buy my bento, drinks, and then offer me food.  I’ve come to realize that it’s not even a situation where they expect anything in return, it’s purely friendship and hospitality.  I just don’t know how to compare this to anything else.  I can’t, it isn’t comparable.  I just know, already, that if the time comes, it’s going to be insanely hard to leave these people. 
G’night.

August 13th
I didn’t get a chance to write in the journal yesterday because I was running all over the place.  Work went by slow, as usual.  Upon getting home, I got a call from Mary Margaret saying that their sea turtle eggs hatched and they were going to release them into the ocean.  I headed out as quickly as I could, but unfortunately made a wrong turn and was driving my little car through the sand.  I was able to get turned around, but then bogged myself down.  A fisherman and fisherwoman came over to help.  They looked like they were in their 80s, but immediately got behind the car and started pushing.  I felt horrible, but they actually saved me.  I waved to them and made sure to drive extra fast across the sand so I wouldn’t get stuck again.  I made it to Mary and Kyle, with one of their coworkers.  There was a bucket of newborn turtles and we got to place them on the sand. 
'No hurling on the shell dude, just got it waxed.'

They all ran toward the ocean and we got to see the waves sweep them up. 
Mr. Kyle setting the little guys free

It was so much fun!  Afterwards, we decided we would watch a meteor shower at night and meet up at the beach again.  I left and surfed for an hour and then got back to have dinner at Mary’s.  We lay on the sand and watched some great meteorites burn up in the atmosphere.  Fell asleep on the beach and ended up waking up around 2am.  Needless to say, I was a bit groggy for work this morning. 
My ‘Big Boss’ called me into his office to watch a high school baseball game, where our Kagoshima team was destroying some other team.  Last I saw in the 6th inning, Kagoshima was up 13-0.  One of the boys was from Osaki Town and hit 2 triples. 
One of Imoto’s friends came over and showed me pictures of his motorcycles and invited me to come to a bikers BBQ next weekend.  He and his wife, who previously lived in Costa Mesa, have a 1200 Harley Sportster, and some European bike from 1936 that looks like my ideal bike.  I’m excited because he’s going to take me to some used motorcycle places and introduce me to his riding buddies. 
Mizoguchi brought over a fresh baked loaf of bread, his wife made, as well as some ‘fish balls’ (patties and sausage-looking things).  I had them for dinner and surprised myself, as they were delicious.  Now, I’m not sure if anything is going to happen tonight. 
Tomorrow, I leave with John, Laura, and Chelsea to Miyazaki.  They are going to be staying with our good friend Cassi, tomorrow, but I want to camp for the night so I can get the early waves.  Also, we are going to look for surfboards for John and myself.  That…is it.  I’m out for the night.  Hoping I’ll be back with some better stories. 

No comments:

Post a Comment