Search

Monday, November 15, 2010

November 8th - 15th

November 8th
Classes aren’t great.  I played basketball with boys in the gym at lunch time.  Graded papers for a teacher who continues to ask me, “Do you have anything planned for this class,” 3 minutes before class.  The day is dragging out and I don’t want anymore of it.  I was going to go fishing, but remembered that tonight is when taiko starts again.  When I got to the BOE for practice, no one was there.  I wasted perfectly good fishing time. 

November 9th
Finally, some excitement.  I’m at one of my junior high schools, where my most interesting kid, Takumi, is at his best.  In the middle of my teacher’s lesson, he holds up a sign and says at an audible level to the whole class, “Nick-sensei, Nick-sensei!”  On the paper is written in English, “How do you say ‘homo’ in English?”  I think I caught myself laugh really quick and then asked him to put it away.  Meanwhile, my teacher is still giving his lesson, not missing a beat.  The paper is passed to other students who hold it up and say, “Nick-sensei, Nick-sensei!”  Again, I have to gesture for them to pay attention and put it away.  Takumi gets the paper again, but this time holds it up and it says, “What are you doing this weekend?”  This time I whisper to him, “I’ll tell you after class,” to which he turns the paper around with the writing, “how do you say ‘homo’ in English?” Can someone please get this kid a job in Hollywood?  I about lost it in the middle of class.  Then as Takumi is still holding up the sign, a girl in the row across from him is loudly whispering, “Lesbian, lesbian.”  I wish I could tell you that I think of this on my own, but these kids have me dumbfounded.  I don’t know where they learn this English and how they’re so brave to ask me in the middle of their lesson. 
I went to my second school of the day and was presented with a radish, from one of my students.  After class, I got home and went for a run.  I was followed by students on bikes, who were returning home from school.  They followed me until I got to my turn around point and then yelled and waved as they rode away.

November 10th
I had three classes this morning with a teacher who only had me play games for 15 minutes, then asked me to leave the class while she passed out their graded tests.  That was an easy morning.  Our tea lady, Takagi, presented me with my own tea cup today.  I even got to write my name on the bottom in katakana.  Took off for my second school after lunch and the kids were crazy.  I was climbed on and made to lift each kid over my head.  At least I got a good workout.
I went spearfishing after work, but being in the water for 20 minutes, I began to realize the waves were getting larger and meaner.  I got out by crawling on the barnacles and cutting my hands but nothing horrible.  While I was in the water, I got a text from the Softbank ladies about my iTunes gift card, again, for the 3rd time.  I stopped in and of course they couldn’t figure it out.  They apologized and gave me another keychain.

November 11th
This morning I couldn't get motivated to leave for work.  But, I saw a boy from one of my elementary schools while I was waiting for a light to turn green and he waved at me through the entirety of his walk across the street.  That, right there, made the day worthwhile.  The rest of the day was a normal day.  Nothing exciting to report.  I emailed Hamanoue about possibly getting a bike, but then received an email from the bike shop that the bike had been sold already.  There goes that plan. 

November 12th 
2 new classes today!  What!?  I’ve been here 3 months and they haven’t put me in all the classes yet?  The kids made their own meishi (business cards) and we exchanged them amongst ourselves while giving English introductions.  I drew Spongebob Squarepants and a squid on two of my cards, which soon became the thing to fight over.  My second class included 3 crying kids, who were all fine once I gave them stickers.  My final class was a huge day for Bingo, where I gave out at least 50 stickers.  No polite requests from the teachers, just “Give them stickers.”  Really, that’s how they tell me. 
Played badminton after work and was invited to a practice the next day and a tournament on the 28th.  Stoked!

November 13th
What a sad day, I was supposed to be buying a motorcycle.  I went to the badminton practice, after buying new gym shoes, and they ran my butt around the gym.  The kids had a blast and I felt like I was getting worse.  Dang, I was dominating weeks ago.  I’ve lost something in my step, perhaps? 
At night, I went for a drive to Kanoya.   I found myself at a couple second-hand shops and then at the crazy night district, where Dangerous Man took me for karaoke.  I drove up and down the little streets just looking at all the crazy outfits these girls wear here.  What a trip.  Luckily, I heard motorcycles in the distance and raced off to find out what they were.  It turned out to be a group of young guys with crazy modified bikes.  One rider saw that I was a foreigner and he kept revving his bike alongside my car and then blasted his trucker airhorn as he sped off.  At every stop light, the kids revved their bikes so much, just being annoying kids.  It was so funny to watch, I wish I had video of it.   I pulled into a market to get a drink and found them sitting around their bikes.  I took pictures, told them who I was, and then showed them pictures of my Suzuki back in the states.  They weren’t impressed, but at least I got to see what they were riding. 

They kept calling this bike the Honda Yankee, but I have no idea what it meant

If you haven't noticed the handlebars on these bikes, take another look



November 14th
Went to brunch with Kyle and Becca at the wonderful Joyfull restaurant.  We chatted for a couple hours and then parted for a while.  I went fishing but was bummed to see that there were other guys fishing in the spot I had never seen anyone fishing before.  Also, there were 15 surfers in the water.  I had never seen more than 7 or 8 in the past, it must have been a good report today. 
At night, Kyle Becca and I we watched a decent horror film called “Lovely Bones.”  I say decent, because the movie had me wondering what was going to happen the whole way through.  Unfortunately, the ending was such rubbish I was irritated at myself for watching its entirety.  I guess it was given great reviews, but I’m telling you to stay away if you haven’t seen it.  Just writing about it right now is making me more annoyed. 

November 15th
Today was a beautiful sunny morning.  One of those days you can tell is going to be nice.  I decided on a short-sleeved shirt and knew there would be possible consequences.  I got to school and it was even warmer than before.  IMMEDIATELY upon entering the school, two teachers asked if I was cold and did the whole shivering imitation.  So I smiled politely and pointed at the sun saying, “It’s sunny and warm today.”  Later, one of the same teachers who said it was cold, walked along the halls with me and proclaimed, “It’s warm today isn’t it?”  I think 1 year is just enough for me to be here without going insane. 
Played volleyball with the kids at lunchtime and then was kicked out of the teacher’s office because they were having a teacher’s meeting.  I’m not positive, but I’m guessing they don’t think very highly of me.  It’s okay, I was off work early and got to go on a long run.  On my way back from the run, I saw 7 of my students playing baseball in a field surrounded by crops.  They yelled my name, so I went to check it out. 
I was wishing I had brought my camera phone with me.  The sun was setting, leaving a burnt orange sky as our backdrop.  I was playing outfield in the middle of a farmer’s field, and there was a slight cool breeze.  I don’t think I’ve ever had a more perfect pick-up game of baseball in my life.  We batted and fielded a couple innings and then some of the kids had to leave.  I decided to leave too, but watched as the remaining 4 kids took batting practice and kept yelling “Goodbye” as I walked away. 
Skipped taiko tonight since I don’t know what they’re doing anymore and watched sumo on TV for 10 minutes.  Made a banana milkshake for the second night in a row and I’m feeling much better now.
Little things have been bugging me more than usual lately, but I know how to fix it.  It’s just going to take a couple wheels, a helmet, and maybe some horsepower through the countryside.  

No comments:

Post a Comment